Friday, April 29, 2005

Living In-Between

Have you ever noticed how much of life is lived in-between? When someone is fired or quits a job and is looking for another, they are described as being "in-between" jobs. When I travel from one place to another (which is usually for a very specific reason), I find myself "in-between" point A and point B. Doctors suggest that the fastest way to a healthy life is by not eating "in-between" meals. Every year, where I live in the Northeast, it seems like we have to live longer and longer "in-between" Winter and Spring.

I live the bulk of my life "in-between." And it has only been in the last couple of years that I've been willing to stop and enjoy the "in-betweeness" of my life. I wonder if this is similar to the theological notion of living in the present, but not yet kingdom? I wonder if Jesus knew all along that most of life would be lived "in-between" this and that. I wonder if the reason why Christians are always in such a hurry to get from here to there is because they are uncomfortable with the "in-between?"

Right now, I'm "in-between" getting up and going to bed. I'm "in-between" breakfast and lunch. I'm "in-between" one household project and another. And as far as I can tell, tomorrow I'll do it all over again. Maybe living "in-between" isn't so bad after all. I think I'll start to enjoy the "in-betweeness" of my life for once just to see if it makes any difference on anything else that happens when I'm not living "in-between."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home