Monday, April 25, 2005

On the title "Naked Religion"

When I was groping for a title to name my blog, after the third try with something I thought would be clever like "The Ultra Rev", only to be told that title was not available, I finally resolved to try a title that would require me to do some explaining. Sure enough, "Naked Religion" wasn't taken. So, "Naked Religion" it is.

The thought behind this title originates from my reflection upon the biblical account in Genesis where it is written, "they (Adam and Eve) were naked and unashamed." I've never heard a good sermon on that text. Nor have I had the courage to preach one. But, it occurs to me that at the very least, this description of Adam and Eve in their pre-fallen garden bliss points in the direction of a life with God that is so authentic and unencumbered with the typical hubris that fills most of our lives, that they (and we) were actually meant to have a religious experience with God that is metaphorically akin to being naked. Don't go to far with that image.

Now, don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to start a new nudist Christian sect (I suspect there are plenty of those already out there). Rather, I'm trying to describe a rubric that will form the basis of my reflections, perceptions, and experiences of God. And to the extent that those reflections cause your and my faith to become less encumbered by the trappings that often accompany evangelical christianity, then as far as I can tell, we're going in the right direction. I think Deitrich Bonhoeffer describes something similar when he writes about "religionless Christianity." I like the ring of "religionless Christianity", but since Bonhoeffer already coined the phrase, I guess I'll have to be content with "naked religion."

1 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger theultrarev said...

In the words of that post-modern philosopher Paris Hilton, "Naked Religion? That's hot."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home