Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Peril of Early Adopters

I like to try new things. When Apple introduced a new computer in the eighties, I paid some unbelievable price compared to today's computer prices to own one. If there is a new item on the menu at my favorite restaurant (La Herradura if you must know), I am often willing to set aside my usual order for some new culinary experience. When there was a new way to watch DVD's by ordering them through the web, I signed up.

The problem with being an early adopter is every time I turn around there is another opportunity to try something new, do it another way, or spend more money on something I already have that does the job just fine. Today I entered the world of VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) telephone service. I even suprise myself that I know what the acronym stands for. I haven't used it yet, but the way I figure it, I'll save a few dollars a month from my old, tired, conventional telephone service. But more than that, I get to be among the first of my friends to adopt this new and improved way of doing what people have always done-- talk to each other. Hey there's an idea! I wonder when someone will come up with a new way to do that?

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger theultrarev said...

hey, if you're ever needing to off load that old apple, i could always use an extra. never can have enough. what kind is it? i remember when ... back in he 90's ... 75% of all apples built since 1984 were in use. i dunno if that' still the case but i believe it so it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home