Saturday, May 07, 2005

Baseball vs. Watching Paint Dry

Every year this time, I find myself joining faithful parents on the bleachers of my boys baseball games. I've never really liked baseball (perhaps because I've never been a good athlete). And where I live, the first half of the baseball season takes place in sub-zero temperatures. So there I sit shivering and watching a game I don't understand because that's what parents do. Oh, I know I could read a book about baseball to learn a thing or two, but what would be the point of that? I'm just as happy that my boys know I'm there watching them whether I know anything about the game they play or not. Frankly, I don't think they care that much about how much I know anyway.

On a similar note, I've been painting the inside of my house this spring. You know how it works. Empty the room of all it's contents. Fill in holes. Tape. And by the time I've done all that, I'm tired and ready for a break. But then there is the fun part. Painting. Not one coat, but two. The first coat goes on quickly. The walls suck up the paint like a camel at a watering hole in the desert. Then I wait for the paint to dry. Sometimes I think if I stand there and watch, the paint will dry faster. It never does. The paint drys at it's own pace. There is nothing I can do to change that. So I wait. It doesn't much matter what I do while I wait. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this blog while I wait for paint to dry.

It strikes me that baseball and watching paint dry are similar in this regard. I sit and watch my boys because that's what parents do. I cannot change the pace of the game. I simply sit and watch because I love my boys and I love to see them enjoying themselves. I paint for similar reasons. I wish there was a quicker way, but I haven't discovered it yet. I wish the paint would dry faster so I can get on to more important things, but paint drys at its own pace. So whether I'm watching baseball or watching paint dry, the only thing I know for sure is there's nothing I'd rather do at that moment. I've got to go finish painting. After that, my son has a baseball game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home