Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Book of Revolutions

Whenever I am in a hurry, I always pick the slowest line. So there I stood, second in-line at the hardware store waiting for the gentleman in front of me to finish discussing in hushed tones something important-- something religioius. I wanted to lean in and listen, but I live in a small town and it was bound to get back to my church that I was an "eves-dropper." I reasoned if I had to waste time standing in a slow line, at the very least I could listen in to pass the time.

When the cashier finally rung him up and he moved toward the door. I quickly moved forward in line to assure that no one could slip in front of me. I smiled at the cashier and said it sounded like she and the previous person had been in some deep conversation about something important (this is always a good way to elicit additional information from someone without appearing too nosey). She smiled and said that he was a retired pastor and they were speaking about important matters.

I smiled and inquired about the importance of the topic that kept her from allowing me to move through the line when she smiled and said, "oh, we were talking about the Book of Revolutions. You just don't find many people anymore who are interested in that sort of thing." I agreed. The Book of Revolutions was not a common topic over dinner at my house. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I've discussed the Book of Revolutions with anyone. She smiled contentedly.

We returned to the task at hand. I gave her my credit card. She rang up my purchase. And I drove home sighing a cynical prayer of thanks for Tim LaHaye, and others like him, who have now made it difficult for people like me to get through the line in the hardware store without having to wait and wonder whether "The Book of Revolutions" is the reason for the delay. The next time I go to the hardware store, I plan to bone up on the Book of Revolutions before I go, just in case.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Barb Hungerford said...

Reminds me of a friend in a previous job whose favorite musical artist was Urethra Franklin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home