Thursday, May 19, 2005

The End of a Cultural Icon

I just received word from a friend that he has purchased tickets for us to see the latest installment of Star Wars. I'm a fan, but not fanatical. I would never sleep out on the street for three days so that I could be first in line to view the first showing. That strikes me as a little goofy. In the midst of my excitement to see how George Lucus ties up all the loose ends, I'm also a little nostalgic because Star Wars has been part of my life since I was in highschool.

The first of many times I saw Stars Wars in a theatre was on a date with a girl whose name I can no longer remember. I think she recognized my excitement about seeing the movie surpassed my excietment about the date. A few years later, when I was in college, I remember having to make the painful choice of studying for a mid-term exam in my "Life of Jesus" class with Dr. Lemcio or getting together with some friends to watch the network premiere of Star Wars on television. I chose to watch Star Wars and received a barely passing grade on the test the next day. But it was worth it.

Twenty years later, I took my sons out of school early so they could accompany me to the prequels to the original Star Wars epic. Even though the later versions of this movie are arguably inferior to the originals, the thrill of seeing my boys experiencing the same saga of good vs. evil that I had grown up with was too good to be true. So tomorrow, as I find a seat in the multiplex theatre with popcorn and drink in hand, I will do so with a little sadness because it will be the end of an era. Thank you George Lucas for providing boys and girls young and old with the thrill of intergalactic travel and intrigue for these past thirty years. You have helped shape a generation through telling of a story that never seems to get old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home