Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Get Rich, Get Fat

The venerable Wall Street Journal published an article entitled, "Obesity Grows among the Affluent." The gist of the article is that poor people are less likely to be over-weight than rich people for a variety of reasons including: rich people tend to consume high calorie foods, rich people lead more sedentary lifestyles, and rich people tend to eat out more often than poor people. Why the Wall Street Journal would choose to publish this article is beyond me. Unless they occasionally like to point out the obvious to their primary constituency-- rich people.

On the relationship between being rich and fat, I'm reminded that Jesus may have had something to say about this as well. He said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. I never understood this until now. Perhaps the reason why rich people don't make it into the kingdom is as simple and straight forward as the door isn't big enough for our extra-large derriers. If this isn't motivation for going on a diet, I don't know what is. Just a thought worth pondering.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I have taken the leap. I am responding to a blog, even though I do not yet have my own blog. Gee, I fell so far behind the times. Anywho, I like to know where the WSJ gets there info. It would seem to me that the poor are more prone to being obesse. This certainly evident in the movie, "Super-size me". Fast, cheap, high calorie food are in abundance. In order to maintain a healthy diet is expensive. Have you seen the diet plan for the South Beach? You have at least make 100 g a year to maintain that diet. It's all about afluent food, if there is such a thing. I mean roasted portobello pizza and espero custard dessert are not apart of my every day diet. How about you?
Anyway, maybe it's good reminder that even the poorest in the US are still consider rich by the world standards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home