Thursday, June 09, 2005

More Books on My Bedstand

People often asking me what I'm reading. I don't know why they wonder since most people's reading his highly personal and often subjective. I go through phases in my reading. I recently went through a "true crime" novel phase. I devoured books about the Green River Murderer and Ted Bundy (both committed their crimes not far from where I grew up). Presently, I am reading in preparation for an upcoming trip to Oxford with the C.S. Lewis Institute. After that, who knows.

Here are a list of the books I am reading in preparation for my upcoming trip to England (in no particular order of importance):

John Polkinghorne, "Belief in God in an Age of Science." (Polkinghorne has double degrees in the Philosophy of Science and Divinity. This should give him a good vantage point from which to speak about this important topic).
Alister McGrath, "The Reenchantment of Nature-- The Denial of Religion and the Ecological Crisis." (McGrath is a writing machine. I wonder how he continues to write on diverse subjects like historical theology, evangelicalism, and now eco-theology and keep it all straight?)
C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy." (It's about time I read this one don't you think?)
G.K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy." (This is like an old friend that I read every so often whether I need to or not).
C.S. Lewis, "God in the Dock-- Essays on Theology and Ethics."
Os Guiness, "The Call-- Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose in Your Life." (I'm hoping he has a chapter on beer!?!).
Dallas Willard, "Renovation of the Heart." (I never finished his "Divine Conspiracy" so in my guilt, I thought I'd try this).

Here are some books that haven't made it to my bedstand yet, but they're not far away:

Diarmaid MacCulloch, "The Reformation-- A History." (Boring title but world-changing ideas that we should remind ourselves of from time-to-time).
Sider and Knippers, "Toward an Evangelical Public Policy." (Sider's earlier book, "Rich Christian's in an Age of Hunger" had a formative influence on my understanding of wealth and consumption. I'm glad he's still playing the same tune).
Robert Inchausti, "Subversive Orthodoxy-- Outlaws, Revolutionaries, and other Christians in Disguise." (This is a great title. Whether I read it anytime soon or not, the title causes me to wonder what's inside).

Happy reading!

3 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Streetwise said...

"Os Guiness, "The Call-- Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose in Your Life." (I'm hoping he has a chapter on beer!?!)."

Adding to the theme, I would urge you to consider these fine books from Amazon to your night stand:

"Stout (Classic Beer Style Series: 10)" by Michael Lewis (C.S. Lewis distant cousin I think)

or perhaps a great book by Martha Stout - "The Sociopath Next Door: The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us"

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger BJBergfalk said...

How can I ever thank you for your recommendations? Welcome back my friend!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Streetwise said...

You're welcome. Next time you happen to be out in the Erie area, let's stop by Molly Branigans Irish Pub and discuss them.

Beer: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Homer Simpson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home