Friday, June 17, 2005

On Friendship

I am often amazed by the number of friends that I manage to keep in contact with over the years. Sometimes the only interaction I have is an occasional e-mail or annual Christmas card and letter. I am also surprised by some of those who remain friends as well as those who I thought would have been long time friends only to have that relationship disappear over time. I suppose friendship can be a slippery notion that depends alot on the meaning of friendship for whoever happens to be talking about it.

I'm one of those people who doesn't need alot of friends, and I cherish and hold on to the friends I have with religious devotion. Perhaps it's the nature of my personality. Maybe it's pathological and I should see a doctor. In any case, friendship with people who have walked alongside me on some aspect of my journey of faith and life are as the proverbs say, like gold. I don't spend alot of time analyzing the frequency of my interaction with friends to make sure I've reached my recommended daily requirement. I don't wonder whether my friends, past and present, have other friends who are more meaningful to them than I at this point in time.

In the course of my life, I'm honored to have so many people who I can call friends because we laughed together, or cried together, or simply survived together. So as I'm about to take a break from writing for a week or so, I raise my glass to my friends, old and new. Thanks for making my life rich with meaning and filled with joy.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brad man....

thanks for the friendship over the years....many things are better "said" in writing such as expressing friendship for us men

thankful for all the times past and hopeful for the times future....some recent followup tests for me have caused some concern...while i would rather not put this stuff in public, i want to testify to your friendship to me in real terms and thank you for your prayers...from hotel michigan...

blessings brother

 

Post a Comment

<< Home