Monday, June 13, 2005

"Wanting More"

I just finished reading a delightful book entitled, "Wanting More" by Joel Vestal. This is a self-published book that describes Vestal's vision for ministry that is captured in the phrase "wanting more." Vestal is a post-modern who decided that if God was calling him to do something, he need not worry about whether his pursuit followed conventional lines or not. Thus, Vestal moved to Nepal and when he witnessed the need and opportunities for ministry there, he established his own mission organization called "ServLife" (www.servlife.org).

This is not an unusual story in the world of mission. Independent minded, entrepenuerial leaders have been marching to the tune of a different drummer and establishing beachheads of ministry in remote areas of the world for a long time. Some of the most well-known missionary movements including China Inland Mission, Sudan Interior Mission, found their beginnings in a similar fashion. I've always admired the freedom and faithfulness I find in these stories. I am amazed by their willingness to take risk for the sake of the Gospel. I'm surprised by the unimaginable ways God meets their needs at the exact moment they have need.

I wonder if it's too late for me to live like this. Three kids, a consistent income, and a mortgage later makes the distance between where I am and where I want to be that much farther. I suppose if I sat down and thought about it, I might be able to come up with one or two last minute answers to prayer to include in my book should I ever decide to write one (but nothing dramatic). At times I find deep consolation in the work and ministry that God has for me, but after reading Joel Vestal's book, I wonder if I've adjusted my sights to accomodate my middle-aged baby-boom lifestyle needs. I'm glad that God still burns in the heart of people like Joel Vestal. And I'm grateful that through his story of radical faithfulness, I have the opportunity to wonder and want more as well.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Scot McKnight turned me on to your blog. It's interesting.

A handful of books throughout my life have shaken me out of my stupor. Those are some of the most important books for me, even when I don't agree with everything they say. I'll look into this one. Thanks.

Steve
www.stevekmccoy.com
www.stevekmccoy.com/sbc

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Barb Hungerford said...

Thank God that we can be inspired by authors, and friends, and be challenged to be who God wants us to be and to "want more." It seems like just the act of wanting more is one step in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home